Photographing jewelry (finalizing) 2

A few days ago I posted about the ‘branding’ of Yvonne’s (my wife) jewelry or jewellery (for the Americanos). I’m not a graphical designer but one of our neighbors is. I was stuck with the header; in fact it was a point of sophisticated discussion (no plates broken, etc.) between me and my client. So our neighbor came in and she was first of all amazed of the collection. For people from outside South Africa like us, it’s sometimes difficult to understand that South Africans in general are not great believers in the products developed and made in their own country… With her advise we changed a few minor things. First of all a better readable (Geneva instead of Chalkduster) lettertype for the footer. But the major issue, the header, needed a bit more upgrading. We enlarged the two text lines (full width) and added some soil in the background. Next we brightened up the name Dhunga. Yes; we are all Happy now. The entire concept of the layout etc. was done in Photoshop CS6

brochure-text brochure-earrings

The Great Flower Shooting Party

Virtually every day you can see me in our small garden shooting. I merely shoot flowers and every now and than also a bird. My weapon-of-mass-imagination is a Sony A77VQ with a few lenses. This camera suits me well and it does everything I want. I shoot in RAW-format (Sony’s JPEG needs some quality improvements) and after the shooting I perform a pre-selection before I download and process the pictures in Adobe Photoshop CS6. For some of the flowers it means a dissection into elements (stamens, etc.) which I use for elementary images or ‘imaginaries’ as I prefer to name them. I love flowers and nature but don’t ask me names of specific species; just being in a garden catching fragrances and touching and capturing nature’s beauties is a Feast. Here are some of the recent pictures of flowers. We have around 600 to 700 different succulent plants from around the globe in our outdoor collection including cacti.

Reflections

The last few days I’ve been experimenting with reflections and this came out of it. The mainframe of the featured picture is the bathroom sliding-door (shot from our outdoor shower -brag, brag, brag….) added with me and the camera (inversed, refined mirrored and filtered/polarisation).

The one below is similar but than without the addition of the polarised eyes.

For the next one  I used the sky as mainframe and a mirrored (+inversed, refined) B&W self-portrait in front of the bathroom door. As usual all pictured with a Sony A77 VQ (this time with 16-50mm lens) and processed with photoshop Cs6.

Bottom picture consists of the bathroom door as mainframe with inversed/refined/filtered ‘fillings’ of a b&W self-portrait, my left hand, flowers from our garden, bathroom mirror, wooden bathroom floor, my hands holding the camera (twirled in center and the very same as in the top 2 pictures) and polarized drink glasses. Fairly complicated and mind bogging…. but than discoveries of possibilities surface. The only problem I have with Adobe photoshop are the tutorials on their website. These are incomplete and could, with the same effort, far more sufficient.

Next week we go back to the elements again (see first posts). Photography and photo-manipulation are one big challenge and we still have a long path to walk.